Sunday, May 30, 2010

101a


I was pretty excited when I found these pedal arms . They are forged steel and look a lot like stock sears pedal arms except a lot beefier. I figured that all I had to do was some light grinding and radiusing and they would be fine..... wrong! It took me all day to widdle these things into looking right. The first thing that had to be done was to bore the hole out .140 to fit on the stock .750 pedal shaft.


The o.g. sears arms taper down to .450 on the pedal end. This was pretty easy to do. I raised the end up with the plainer jack to cut the correct taper.




Here is a side by side comparison, the one on the bottom is cut and the top one is the bulky version.



The next step was to cut the .625 radius into the big end. Then I cut over all taper into them. I left a little bit of material on the end for hand grinding.





The next step was to cut the radius on the backside face of the arm on the big end. This was done on the mill, then hand ground in. Finally I was able to radius and grind the small end of the arm. I left it a little bigger than stock just for strength. These were a lot of work, but I am very happy with how they turned out and I would do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment