Thursday, December 24, 2009

post number 32

I got one of my spare engines from Tim Spacke today. It is really nice! Thanks Tim!

Here is what the bottom end looks like all tore apart, you can see the inner and outer flywheels, which are held in place by a big ball bearing and a pin.

Ryan polished all the bs off of my spokes yesterday. They turned out well.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

post number 31

Christmas came early in south dakota today. I got my spare set of cylinders from Tim in california. I bought two extra motors and a spare set of cylinders from him. They are really nice.

Here is a pic of my fly wheel being machined I bought a set of jd wheel blanks from Paul Osbourne. I have them roughed in, but still have a lot of machining to do!
Here is the blank before any chips were made.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Post number 30

The top piece is the blank for my toolbox door. The length of the lip that has to roll over the .125 drill rod is .350.

Here is the piece after it was bolted to the buck and the edges were bent over. I need to refine my lay out of the edges so that the corners do not overlap each other when they bend over the rod.

Here is a pic that gives you an idea of what has to happen to make these edges. It is a lot of work, but very rewarding.

post number 29

In this pic both ends are done, I still have to do the long pieces though.

In this pic I am making the last hinge piece. I made the toolbox door out of metal that was much thicker than original. I didn't notice it until I had my material cut out and bent. OOPS! So consequently I had to make the hinge pieces out of a heavier gauge metal so that they lined up with the rolled over edge. In hine sight this probably works to my benefit because I have a much sturdier door, and hinge assembly. Please note the vice that I am using, I made it in high school.

Check it out!

My buck is on the left, the original cover is in the middle, and the one I made today is on the end. It is really heavy duty! I am really satisfied with the end result of this project!

post number 28

These are the shafts out of my friend Marty's top fuel motor. It made 800 horsepower. He kept pulling tapers, so he made up these hex shafts, and cut hexes into the flywheels with an e.d.m. He couldn't true the flywheels, so the machine work had to be 100 percent accurate. This is a cool idea that I might adapt to the sears.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Post number 27

Here is the piece of aluminum that I used for making a buck to bend over the edge of my toolbox door.

It is scribed out in this pic, and the two straight lines are milled out.

Here is the finished part, I still have to drill and tap some holes to hold the material in place.

The piece of wood will be bolted to the buck and hold the piece of metal down to help form a nice sharp edge. I am tired and going to bed.

Friday, December 4, 2009


I tried to take my flywheels out of the cases yesterday. It was miserable! There are two sets of flywheels, and It is very awkward to say the least. I am kind of stuck on this step, but I will get it.

In this pic you can see the inner pinion flywheel, and the outer sprocket flywheel. I cannot seam to get the sprocket side flywheels separated. This is a real challenge! Check out the articulating rods. What a bizarre set up!