Saturday, March 13, 2010
post number 53
I spent the morning checking out my new bottom end stuff. This is the first time that I have done something like this. The cases in this picture are not the ones that will be used in the race. My cannonball cases are off getting polished. I just wanted to do a rough mock up to see what clearance issues we were going to run into. The left flywheel and bearing assemble are bolted in for good. The crankpin is just lightly pushed into the flywheel.
The little triangle piece to the right of the flywheel was hitting the sprocket shaft nut, so I had to grind it off. I thought I uploaded a picture of the ground rod, but I didn't oops!
Here is where the rod hits the case. We increased the stroke of the flywheels by quite a bit in order to make clearance for the crank pin nut. I will have to do some modifications in order to make everything fit in my cases, but it will work out well.
Here is a pic of the top of my piston at top dead center. It is exactly where it needs to be. The displacement on my engine is 88 inches. A stock spacke 9hp engine is 71 inches. This is quite an increase.