Sunday, September 27, 2009

post 2





Well, I have been talking to a lot of people about the spacke engine that was used in sears bikes, and it sounds like the weakest link is the crankshaft. There is a crankshaft that has two flywheels pinned to it. A couple of guys have said that it would not endure the 3800 mile trip across the country.
I am a problem solver by trade, I make my living fixing mechanical short comings, so the obvious answer that popped into my head was to make flywheels with tapered shafts that are similar to a harley set up. I know people and businesses with equipment to do this procedure, so problem solved? I called Lonnie and double checked to make sure that changing the flywheel and rod assembly wouldn't be cheating, and he didn't see a problem with it.

Later on in the day I called Vince in Sacramento to get his input on the spacke motor and he said that he thought that it would make it. He had one in the past that had indian powerplus flywheels and rods in it. This scenario has happened quite a few times in my life already and I am sure it will happen again. I find a mechanical problem, and figure out a solution, only to discover that it has already been fixed in the past. I love the old motorcycle Hobby and the creative minds that are and have been involved with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment